Tuesday 26 July 2016

Dissipating Sleep Inertia

Exit Intent

Do you ever feel so groggy after you wake up from a nap?I'm a victim of this. naps are tricky because you either wake up refreshed and relaxed or you have a headache, dry throat, and are unaware of what year you’re in
Although daytime naps provide cognitive benefits,some  often leave you with Sleep inertia  upon waking. It appears as the feeling of grogginess that reduces your ability to perform dexterity. Many including myself tend to dissipate morning sleep inertia by checking emails,reading rants and scanning news."My husband tends to hit the snooze  button more than 5 times and this snooze cycle is having a negative effect on me."Pam says."This has contributed to my sleep inertia since I always wake during the REM Phase".
According to an IDC Research report ,79% Of those surveyed admitted to checking their phones within 15 minutes of waking up.This habit makes me  feel awake and alert much quicker.My  Inertia tends to be worse when  I take an afternoon nap.I wake up with this feeling of grogginess.It usually takes around 20 minutes before it dissipates.That's why I've ditched afternoon naps.
  A  Study in Ireland found that executive mental functions are slower to return to normal after a nap than the ability to do simpler things.That's why you experience a short term memory loss when in that state.

  

    

 Tweet 


DISSIPATING SLEEP INERTIA
1)Wake up at the correct stage in your sleep cycle.

2)Use a  Light Up Alarm 
( You set when you want to get up, and the Wake-Up light starts beeping at that time—softly at first, then louder .A simulated sunrise has already started, transitioning from a dim glow to full brightness . By the time the sound kicks in,Your room is all lit up).

3)Meditation




4)Set  up an alarm   to wake you at the correct stage in your sleep cycle.There are apps that are able to make you know your the stages of your sleep cycle.After knowing the stages,you can now determine the correct stage in your sleep cycle.This will prevent you from waking up in the REM Stage.





READ ALSO: Snoring could be an early sign of a sleep disorder